In order to better understand and learn more about the analysis of a brand’s identity, we analysed the brand Amazon. The aim was to apply the brand identity concept and map the results.
Besides mapping the key categories we summarized the following points:
1. Are there any patterns (which?) emerging?
The brand builds mainly on the product range and the services Amazon delivers. That means that people are not primarily driven by the brand Amazon but by the products and items they want to order online. The fact that Amazon offers a wide variety of products on its online platform, further manifests the brand positioning and its success in the market.
2. How much integration is there between strategy/vision and execution/form?
The service standard integrates the strategy of Amazon. The strategy of offering a mass customised product range, is clearly recognisable in the execution.
3. How much aspiration does the brand exhibit?
Started with offering books, Amazon today aleady offers a wide variety of products. One can assume that Amazon in future want to expand its products and service portfolio even further, maintaining the virtual market place number one.
4. What does the brand well?
- Mass customization
- Delivery service
- Technological handling (one-click ordering)
- Customer service and awareness
- Product reviews
Where and what are the major disconnects?
Amazon is still mainly recognized as an online platform for buying books. Therefore, other categories such as car and motorcycle accessories are not on top of mind when thinking about Amazon.
- Map and visualize the brand identity elements in a different way (for instance starting with the brand essence at the core, then drawing relationships to core identity, extended identity, products, customers etc.)
Based on the learnings of this exercise we moved forward and started to analyze the brand identity of the Marlboro brand.